Thursday, April 26, 2012

Jonah's Birth Story - Part II

For some reason, my contractions were not regular at all.  As it got closer to midnight the contractions were getting really strong.  They were coming in a strange pattern.  I'd have 3 or 4 contractions in a row.  Then I'd have a break, and then 3 or 4 more in a row.

At 12:15, I mentally decided that I wanted an epidural.  I had already decided that if I wanted pain meds that I would have a 30 minutes "wait and see" period.  At 12:45, Kim, my midwife checked and I was 5 cm dilated.  I couldn't mentally wrap my head around the fact that my contractions were going to get worse and I was going to have to do it for about 5 more hours and then still have to push.

So, I told them I wanted the epidural.  I wasn't able to get one until around 1:30 am.  At that point, I was so happy to have the pain gone, I kept repeating, "I'm so glad I did this!"  Ha!

Then, the heart monitor kept messing up and Jonah's heart rate would drop really low when I had a contraction.  So, every time this happened, the nurses would run in, put me on oxygen and freak me out.  Eventually, they talked me into getting an internal monitor on Jonah's head.  I didn't want to do that, but I wanted to make sure my baby was safe.

After that, the low heart rate continued with my contractions.  Kim had to consult with the FamilyCare OB/GYN that was on call, Dr. Kasturi.  She came in and scared me into getting a c-section. Honestly, I don't really remember what she said.  I just remember being scared for Jonah.   I just wanted to make sure that he was okay.

So, the anesthesiologist came back and gave me more drugs to make me completely numb.  They wheeled me into the operating room. I honestly have no idea where the time between 1:30 and 4 went.  I can't remember much of anything except being so scared for Jonah.

Jesse went in to the OR with me, of course.  He sat there and held my hand.  They put up the drape and a few minutes later we heard the sound of our baby's first cries!  Both Jesse and I started crying immediately, even though we couldn't see him yet!

I watched as they weighed him and whatever else they have to do right after birth.  They wrapped him in a swaddling blanket and placed him on my chest.   It was an amazing moment!  He weighed 7 lbs and 6 oz and was 19 3/4 inches long.  His APGAR score was 9/9.

~To Be Continued~

No comments:

Post a Comment